Holiday Farm Fire

Announcements and Information

Community Update – September 2021

Since restoring power to all remaining homes in the Down River and Upriver service areas in October of 2020, we are focused on rebuilding the remainder of our infrastructure damaged by the wildfire.

Equipment Removal:
Please be advised crews will be working in the McKenzie River area Thursdays through Saturdays for the next three weeks removing equipment damaged from the wildfire. In addition, FEMA requires special handling and record-keeping for Lane Electric to receive reimbursement. This documentation is an essential step in the removal process. We ask members to refrain from removing debris as we follow specific FEMA guidelines about cataloging and debris removal. Please contact our office if you have any questions.

Tree Trimming:
You may have noticed tree-trimming crews in the area as well. Lane Electric’s tree-trimming program is staffed with arborists and forestry experts who work tirelessly to keep our members safe and reduce the chance of power outages. The Oregon Department of Forestry granted us a waiver to work during this high level of fire danger. Crews are trained and equipped to work under these conditions. Tools are inspected annually by ODF to uphold standards. Learn more at:

FEMA Grants:
To support rebuilding efforts, we are actively applying for FEMA grants and have enlisted a local engineering firm to create a plan for building an even more resilient system. This includes moving as much of the system underground as is feasible to mitigate the extreme weather risks above-ground power lines are susceptible to, such as wind, snow, ice and landslides.

While we are eager to start the rebuilding process, we are committed to doing so as effectively as possible. Applying for grants can be incredibly tedious and time-consuming. Still, we reassure our members that we are taking the proper steps to secure funding, rebuilding our community stronger than before. It’s important to note that these rebuilding efforts will come at no cost to our members. We will continue to share more details about the plan, including rebuilding timelines as they are available.

Temporary Power:
There are temporary power options available for those who have lost their home and are beginning rebuilding efforts. For those ready to start the rebuilding process, we ask that you review our new construction guide and electric service & guidelines booklet before you begin any work. Please see the Electric Service FAQ below to answer any questions you may have. If you are using a backup generator, we urge you to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your generator carefully. We’ve provided some safety tips here and encourage you to review them.

Lane Electric is also fully committed to understanding the cause of the fire, which is currently under investigation. We are cooperating with federal and state authorities and are unaware that any of our assets contributed to the cause of the fire at this time. A thorough investigation will take time and patience.

We appreciate our members’ patience and support as we work towards rebuilding our community. As always, please stay safe and do not approach down power lines. Always assume they are energized.

Pro Bono Fire Resources:

  • The Oregon Trial Lawyers Association has established a hotline and pro bono resources to support victims of fire-damaged homes, businesses and property by providing free consultations about insurance claims and next steps. Click here for more information.

Additional Resources:

Oregon Department of Forestry Holiday Farm Fire Information

Lane County Holiday Farm Fire Resources

ODOT Wildfire Response and Recovery

ODOT Trip Check

Electric Service FAQ

Home Wasn’t Destroyed by the Fire

Q: What actions do I need to take to get service restored?

A: Please contact our engineering team at 541-484-1151 and they will be happy to assist you.

Q: Can Lane Electric provide a diagram to show me what I’m looking at to understand the power lines to my property so that I know what might need to be repaired?

A: Please contact our engineering team at 541-484-1151 and they will communicate the technical details of your electric service.

 Home Was Destroyed by the Fire

Q: I’m hiring an electrician to install a meter base and RV hookup for temporary power while rebuilding. Where should I put it now that the original service location is gone? Will I have to pay because it is not in the original location?

A: Please contact our engineering team at 541-484-1151 and they will be happy to assist you. Installations will be evaluated per Lane Electric’s line extension policy.

Q: Does Lane Electric need to get permits to put in temporary service for an RV and for contractors?

A: Prior to the temporary service installation, the member or their electrician should obtain a permit from the government agency responsible for issuing permits in their area.

Q: I’m rebuilding my home, what do I need to know before I get started?

A: We have helpful resources located on our website for members beginning the rebuilding process. The first is a robust new construction guide that walks through each step members should take before any work can begin. The second is a complete Electric Service & Guidelines booklet that includes information on easements, overhead and underground service, service diagrams and more. Please consult both resources prior to contacting a Lane Electric representative.

Q: The power lines in my area need to be routed differently. Will there be consideration given to that since it needs to be rebuilt anyway? What can I do about that?

A: All installations will be evaluated by Lane Electric’s staking technicians and configured in accordance with industry best practices.

Q: Are there costs associated with digging a trench for underground service?

A: Members have two options for trenches.

1) Trenches located on the member’s property can be provided by the member. The low voltage service conductor trench should be provided by the consumer, from the pole or transformer pad to the meter location.

2) Lane Electric can provide the trench. Extra time and fees for the labor and required archeological study may apply. Please contact our engineering team at 541-484-1151 and they will be happy to assist you with more information.

General FAQ

Q: I need to access my property, but there is a wire down across my driveway that I’m told not to cross. How do I get the wire removed and when will that happen?

A: Please call the main office at 541-484-1151 and we will provide an estimated time.

Q: How does Lane Electric determine when to shut off power?

A: We do not take power shutoffs lightly and do so when there’s fire danger (temperature, relative humidity, wind) and physical threats to the safety of our communities.

Q: Is Lane Electric’s equipment responsible for causing the fire?

A: The cause of the fire is under investigation, and we are fully cooperating with federal and state authorities.  We are unaware that any of our assets contributed to the cause of the fire at this time.  A thorough investigation will take time and patience, and we want to respect the investigation and the process.  In the meantime, Lane Electric is focused on power restoration for our members and is engaged in rebuilding these great communities we serve.

Q: Are you considering upgrades to the power system as a part of the rebuild?

A: All options are on the table, and we plan to give each possibility the due diligence it deserves. FEMA hazard mitigation funds will be helpful in considering options that were not previously feasible.

Q: Why hasn’t Lane Electric undergrounded all their lines? 

A:  Undergrounding power lines is an expensive and time-consuming process, but Lane Electric is further along than many other rural utilities. More than half of our system is already underground, and we continue to bury more of it each year.

Q: Where can I get more information about current power outages?

A: Lane Electric’s ‘Outage Map & Status‘ page is a useful resource for up-to-date information about any ongoing large-scale power outages.

Q: What fees will I need to pay when disconnecting and eventually to rebuild?

A: All fees to disconnect, reconnect, and rebuild line extensions will be waived for those in the fire-damaged area.

For Media and Press Contacts: Call 541-484-1151 or send requests to