Job Opening: GIS/CAD Database Technician
Wage or Salary:
Lane Electric Cooperative seeks qualified candidates for the position of GIS/CAD Technician (Geographic Information System/Computer-Aided Design). This position is responsible for the GIS/CAD data input, editing and maintaining a wide verity of mapping products and services. Provides support for the Engineering Technicians, Engineering, Operations and the Accounting Departments.
Please see the full Job description below.
Send Resume to: HRDept@laneelectric.com
Lane Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Lane Electric serves approximately 13,000 meters throughout 2,600 square miles of some of the most rural and beautiful country in Western Oregon. From the western edge of the Cascade Mountains to the Fern Ridge area west of Eugene, our area offers something for everyone.
Located in the Willamette Valley between the McKenzie and Willamette Rivers, the possibilities offered by Eugene and the surrounding areas are endless. Home of the University of Oregon, education, athletic events, concerts and performances are readily available. If you are a winter sports enthusiast, downhill and cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing and snowmobiling are an hour away. For the summer enthusiasts, the area offers running, biking and hiking trails, golfing, fishing, and camping, boating and white-water rafting. And, for those interested in the cultural arts, Eugene’s Hult Center offers professional plays, concerts and events on a regular basis.
Additional Information:Position Description
Position: GIS/CAD Database Technician
Reports to: Engineering Manager
· Provides technical GIS/CAD (Geographic Information System/Computer-Aided Design) data input, editing and maintenance to provide a wide variety of mapping products and services.
· Supports Engineering Technicians in the design of electrical distribution system.
· Provides technical computer support in the operation and maintenance of Engineering and Operations laptops and personal computers.
· Provides support operation for the following departments:
1. Engineering and Operations
2. Accounting Department
Duties and Responsibilities
· Interprets information from recorded maps, land grants, deeds, and other source documents.
· Transposes data from source documents using coordinate geometry (cogo), digitizing or scanning methods into CAD and GIS files and related databases.
· Reviews and verifies CAD and GIS digital files and related databases for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with established formats.
· Generates and distributes standard and custom products such as reports, maps diagrams, exhibits and displays using GIS and CAD software and related equipment.
· Uses GIS software to query location, relationships, trends, patterns, adjacency, containment, and proximity of non-complex features and data.
· Updates routine GIS and CAD data layers and performs quality control checks on mapping products to insure accuracy and consistency with database.
· Performs field checks as necessary to insure accuracy of GIS and CAD information using GPS locator, theodolite, and other measuring instruments.
· Assists in the design of circuit layouts and preparation of staking sheets for subdivisions and partitions.
· Performs hardware and software updates for all GIS/CAD computers and related equipment.
· Monitors dispatch radio and dispatches servicemen and others as required. This is in conjunction with the Engineering & Operations Secretary.
· Provides guidance and backup for Utility Services Representative.
· Tracks work order documents. Including releasing for construction and closing for mapping and historical records.
· Performs other miscellaneous work as directed.
· Reports to Engineering Manager
· Supports and assists:
1. Engineering Services Supervisor and Engineering Technicians
3. Construction and maintenance personnel
4. Customer service and credit personnel
· Less direct relationship with all other departments
· Education: Requires high school diploma or GED equivalency. Associates degree in geographic information systems or computer aided drafting preferred.
· Experience: Two (2) years previous experience in GIS/CAD applications or related fields. Computer experience in word-processing, spreadsheet, and database software packages. Computer experience in hardware and software installations and maintenance.
· Interests: Interested in all aspects of business, office procedures, and customer relations.
· Physical Skills
· Some physical skill is required. Certain coordinated finger, limb or body movements must be performed in the course of regular work routines. These can usually be learned on the job, over a relatively short period of time.
Job requires physical effort as a part of regular work routine, such as frequent standing and walking; frequent lifting, guiding, and/or carrying of lightweight materials or equipment; occasional periods of sustained effort.
Essential Physical Functions
· Handling, fingering, (working with small tools)
· Vision, near and far (driving, working with survey equipment)
· Talking in person and on the telephone
· Listening in person and on the telephone
· Walking (covering rough terrain doing survey work)
· Lift, carry, pull, and push items in excess of 30 pounds in adverse terrain and adverse weather conditions.
Work pressure, disturbances of work flow, and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis.
Generally good working conditions. Most work is in office with little or no exposure to extremes in noise, temperature, etc. and little or no exposure to safety or health hazards. Occasional trips to the field involve some exposure to extremes in noise, temperature, etc. and some exposure to safety or health hazards.