Lane Electric belongs to a statewide association called the Oregon Rural Electric Cooperative Association (ORECA). Their role, on behalf of the Oregon cooperatives, is to lobby against mandates and laws that jeopardize things like local control, affordable, economical, and reliable power. They can’t however, do this alone. Cooperatives, like Lane Electric are encouraging their members, across Oregon, to band together to promote common sense solutions by way of our grassroots program; ORECA.Action.
By signing up, you’ll maximize your voice to hold elected officials accountable and promote the importance of Oregon’s electric cooperatives. ORECA’s top priorities in representing the interests of electric cooperatives before the Oregon Legislature include the following:
• Maintaining the integrity of the Oregon utility territorial laws and allocations which protect members and their investments in their electric co-ops.
• Supporting the coordinated development of rural areas in Oregon through the supply of low-cost, Bonneville Power Administration power to rural business, industry and homes.
• Protecting the ability of electric cooperatives to do business in Oregon by retaining the Cooperative Corporation Statutes.
• Maintaining the benefit of self-governance of member-owned utilities.
• Preserving the benefits of the low-cost federal hydro system, and preserve preference power for consumer-owned utilities.
• Opposing unnecessary mandates, regulations, and costs.
• Maintaining the right of electric cooperatives to provide additional services, without significant tax penalties, to our consumer-owners.
Note: From time to time, (ORECA) may delve into national and federal issues to protect the interests of electric cooperatives.